Adoption and how it is carried out have well-studied psychological effects on adoptees. However, how birth mothers are affected by giving up their child is less well studied. Birth mothers have historically been shunned and stigmatized, and often still do not receive the grief counseling and mental health services they need. Open vs. closed adoptions also differ. An expert psychologist and birth mother-author discuss.
- Hope Baker, birth mother of adopted child and author, Finding Hope: A Birthmother’s Journey Into the Light
- Dr. Jeanette Yoffe, foster and adoption therapist and founder, Celia Center
Links for more info:
- On Your Feet Foundation: Adoption Education
- GoodReads: Finding Hope: A Birthmother’s Journey into the Light
- Celia Center: Support for All Members of the Foster Care and Adoption Constellation
- Celia Center: Board Members