Loneliness is increasing across all ages, but it’s especially noteworthy among seniors, and it can dramatically affect health. An expert geriatrician who has studied the effects of loneliness and the leader of an organization that provides friendly visitors to the isolated elderly discuss causes of increasing loneliness, its impact, and the effectiveness of visitor programs.
- Dr. Carla Perissinoto, Associate Chief for Clinical Programs in Geriatrics, University of California, San Francisco
- Janet Seckel-Cerrotti, Executive Director, FriendshipWorks, Boston
Links for more information:
- Carla Perissinotto, MD, MHS – UCSF Profiles
- FriendshipWorks – Ending Elder Isolation, Creating Connections
- Member Spotlight: Janet Seckel-Cerrotti